From CVL Wiki
There are currently 3 different email scenarios at VT
Scenario 1 - VT Google Apps
Everyone with a VT PID has a VT Google Apps account. This is the most common denominator for VT email.
Scenario 2 - Exchange 2013
Exchange is F/S only, though students can be sponsored for an Exchange account.
The most common Exchange scenario involves forwarding email sent to your VT Google Apps (PID@vt.edu) to your Exchange account (PID@exchange.vt.edu). This does not include emails flagged as spam by Google (see Managing Spam below).
Archiving Exchange Emails
We recommend archiving your exchange emails to your VT Google account.
- Start by enabling IMAP in your VT Google account: https://computing.vt.edu/kb/entry/3986
- Next configure Outlook to connect to your VT Google account: https://computing.vt.edu/kb/entry/3945
- Under the VT Google account in Outlook, right-click the inbox and Create New Folder and name it Archive
- Drag and drop emails or folders from the Exchange account to the Archive folder under the Google account
Scenario 3 - Local Exchange (ITAR)
If you are on an ITAR related project, email sent to PID@vt.edu does NOT get sent to VT Google Apps, and instead everything goes directly to PID@exchange.vt.edu.
Outlook 2013 Filter
- Create a new rule (Home Tab -> Rules -> Create Rule)
- Click Advanced Options
- In the Step 1 box, check with specific words in the message header
- In the Step 2 box, click specific words
- Enter X-Spam-Flag: YES in the text box and click Add
- You can add X-Gm-Spam: 1 as an additional option
- Click Next
- In the Step 1 box, check move to the specified folder
- In the Step 2 box, click specific folder and choose the folder (Junk E-mail is recommended)
- Click Finish and give it a name