From CVL Wiki
- EM Pro is Agilents FEM/FDTD electromagnetics computational package.
Electromagnetic Professional (EMPro) is Agilent EEsof EDA's EM simulation software design platform for analyzing the 3D electromagnetic (EM) effects of components such as high-speed and RF IC packages, bondwires, antennas, on-chip and off-chip embedded passives and PCB interconnects. EMPro EM simulation software features a modern design, simulation and analysis environment, high capacity simulation technologies and integration with the industry’s leading RF and microwave circuit design environment, Advanced Design System (ADS) for fast and efficient RF and microwave circuit design.
Installing EM Pro on Windows
- The installation package for EM Pro is found at http://edocs.soco.agilent.com/display/downloads/EMPro and the installation is the same as for ADS -- it is covered by the same license.
Disclaimer: EM Pro is to only be installed on a University Owned Computer.
Tips for EM Pro on Windows 7
1. The latest version of EMPro available to the university is 2011.04. This version installs without any problems but will cause the tool to crash on Windows 7 if you do not have the required graphics card. Some video drivers (like the Intel Graphics Accelerator card) have known compatibility issues with EMPro. This can result in unexpected fatal errors. Below is an excerpt from the EM Pro manual :
- EMPro supports only CUDA enabled GPU cards; see http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_gpus.html for GPU cards that support CUDA. GPU cards that do not support CUDA are no longer compatible with EMPro, because Acceleware v8 legacy code is not supported. However, EMPro still supports Acceleware v9 CUDA based hardware acceleration.
- EMPro supports the new Fermi Architecture based GPU cards. Due to this change, the GPU driver must be updated to the latest version is still supported, otherwise no GPU card will be detected. You can download the latest driver from http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx. The download version should be 260 or higher, and released in November 2010 or later. In some cases, the 260 version may still be marked as beta.
Possible workarounds to this issue are :
- From the Edit menu of EMPro, change the General Application Preferences and change the Rendering Options Transparency Algorithm, for example to "Depth Peeling".
- On Windows, create the EMPro shortcut on the desktop. Right-click the EMPro shortcut and select Properties. In the Target field under Shortcut tab, append the existing path with --driver=direct3d. Now, launch the EMPro from the shortcut itself, that is, start EMPro in DirectX mode by empro.exe --driver=direct3d.
For other known fixes available in this version, you can refer to the online manual at http://edocs.soco.agilent.com/display/empro201101/Release+Notes#ReleaseNotes-KnownIssues
2. Older EMPro projects will open into newer versions of EMPro. New projects will not open in older versions of EMPro.
3. EMPro 2011.04 is not compatible with ADS 2009 Update 1. You have to update to the latest version of ADS available(2011) to be able to export data to/from ADS to EMPro.
4. Possible workaround if EMPro 2011.04 does not work on the windows 7 system, you can install 2010.07 version which is perfectly compatible with ADS 2009 Update 1.
Running EM Pro on the CVL cluster
You have to have an X11 (graphical) connection to the CVL clusters. If you are using a Windows machine, see How to gain Remote Access to the CVL over the Internet. Linux users just need to use a "-X" on their ssh connection: ssh -X cvl.ece.vt.edu.
To start EM Pro type: