Welcome To The ECE 5984 Home Page
Theoretical and Algorithmic Foundations of Computer Engineering
||Phone: (540) 231-9254
|| Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- CLASS MEETING TIME AND PLACE:
Tuesdays and Thursdays, 5:00 - 6:15pm, 257 Whittemore
- Graduate standing in ECE
- Have taken at least one senior-level (undergraduate) course in computer engineering in the past
- Graphs, Algorithms, and Optimization, by Kocay and Kreher,
CRC Press, 2004.
- Introduction to Algorithms, by Cormen, Leiserson, Rivest, and
Stein, MIT Press, 2001.
- OFFICE HOURS:
Wednesdays, 3:00 - 4:30pm, 355 Durham, or by appointment
- COURSE OBJECTIVES:
Theoretical and algorithmic foundations of computer engineering will
be covered. The emphasized theories and algorithms are those upon
which most computer engineering problems are built and formulated.
This course serves as a basic foundation in problem formulation,
solution finding, and optimization in computer engineering.
- LECTURE OUTLINE:
- Review of Sets, Relations, Functions, and Computation
- Basic Graph Formulation and Algorithms
- Shortest path, degree sequences, paths and cycles, trees
- Advanced Graph Formulation and Algorithms
- Spanning trees, cut sets, tree ordering, vertex cuts, matching
- Network flows, Eulerian and Hamiltonia paths, TSP, coloring
- Graph Algorithms in Action
- Strings, suffix trees/arrays
- Satisfiability and learning
- Boolean functions and problems
- Basic Automata and Complexity Theory
- Deterministic and non-deterministic finite automata, NFA/DFA transformation
- Regular and non-regular languages, pushdown automata, turing machine
- Time and Space Complexity Analysis
- Optimization Algorithms and Integer Problems
- Basic Queuing Theory
On-line syllabus (including lectures)
- HONOR CODE:
Academic integrity is expected from every student. These include
- you may discuss homework/project with fellow classmates, but each student
must do his/her own work.
- cheating on exams and homework assignments are all considered violations
of the honor code and shall be prosecuted.
- SPECIAL NEEDS:
Any student who may need an accomodation because of a disability (learning
disability, physical, psychological, attention deficit disorder, etc.),
please make an appointment to see the instructor.
Go to the ECE Department